Monday, July 24, 2006

What came first?

Two of the joys of my trip to melbourne: finally buying the book High Fidelity; and getting up late, looking out at the beautiful view, and turning up good music. Heres a thought that stems from a combo of the two:

"What came first, the music or the misery? Did I listen to music becuase I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to music? Do all those records turn you into a melancholy person?" (High Fidelity, p.19)

I like this quote. I think its an interesting thought.
And lets just say there was a particular song I was listening to one of those mornings that at this point in my life makes me cry. Nothing to do with the quality of the song by the way...
Any songs like that for you? Not necessarily make you cry, but make you in some way blur where the music or the misery came first?

3 Comments:

At 8:29 PM, Blogger Scott M said...

Immortality. Pearl Jam.

I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues. Elton John

Mayonaise. Smashing Pumpkins

Last Kiss. Pearl Jam

Beloved Wife. Natalie Merchant.

Man, I am one miserable person.

 
At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i prefer sentimental, not miserable...

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Katie said...

iris - goo goo dolls
guaranteed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home