Sunday, July 16, 2006

A Time to Choose

This was the theme for Treestump 2006 - our TC camp (years 7-9) from which I have just returned this evening.

A time to choose what exactly? Well, the four talks on camp presented these kids with an outline of the gospel - God Creates, We Rebel, Jesus Dies, Jesus Lives - 4 great talks that equiped the kids with all the information they need to make a decision to turn to Christ, and challenging them to do so.

It was a good week away for so many reasons. But the biggest reason is just seeing these kids being challenged and changed, and openly sharing these challenges with those around them. It is an absolutely amazing privilege to be able to assist in God's work, to lead these kids and help them grow in love and knowledge of Jesus.

There were many a struggle on this camp too. But thats what you're gonna get when dealing with kids this age.
But aside from those little downers, and the fact that this could potentially be the last CCSI youth group camp i lead on, as I said, it was great! God was with us, He was changing hearts, and He made a lot of good and fun things possible!

Some of my other highlights include:
- Hearing many kids be challenged to take their sin seriously, to hate it in fact. And of course, in learning this, seeing the gift of grace as so, so much sweeter!
- Guys/girls afternoon, when us girls enjoyed chilled time together making (or attempting to make) scarves while chatting, eating, and listening to and singing along with some beautiful music by Pappy (whose talent never ceases to amaze me)!
- Getting to know some of the leaders and kids better!
- of course, leaders' meetings, and the new coffee machine which got to be enjoyed during those meetings...
- Teaching the kids a memory verse to the tune of a Backstreet Boys song...and performing it with BSB style dance moves...
- Pirate Nite...and (the also incredibly talented) Marcus showing the kids what a 'walk-off' is really about!
- Firesides.
I think these are officially my favourite part of treestump! Very cold nite. Clear sky. Full Moon. A raging fire. And about 90 people singing praises to our Lord to the sound of two guitars. Hearing some challenging words (in this case we spoke on what I love about being a Christian) and encouraging prayers. I love it. Always good times.

To those who may have prayed for myself, the team, and the kids, thank you! And for those who may be wondering how my fireside talk turned out, I gave it on the first night of camp - a little nervous, but once again amazed at the power of the Spirit as He works through us - I really loved getting up there and giving it, encouraging and challenging the kids in that way - and its an amazing feeling really - if you just trust in the Lord, He really does just speak through you! Praise God!

There are many many more things I could say about Treestump.
But right now, my bed is calling - we've been apart for a few days so its time for our reunion... and sadly I must go to work in the morning!
But never fear! Tuesday I am off to Melbourne to stay with my brother and explore this city I've heard so much about yet never previously visited! So excited!

Take care people!

2 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Chelsea -- It was great to hear about Treestump from your Blog. We pray for our brothers and sisters at CCSI.

 
At 4:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Jman

 

Post a Comment

<< Home