Sunday, June 11, 2006

That's Impressive!

Let me tell you about three things which have impressed me this week.

One
Gena Rowlands. John Cassavetes.
A film called ‘A Woman Under The Influence’.
This is what we watched in my last film class of the semester (and probably of my entire uni career). Cassavetes is the director, Rowlands is his wife and the leading actress. I was impressed with this film. Mostly with the acting. It’s a pretty emotional film about a woman (Rowlands) who is ‘crazy’ (don’t really like that term but we aren’t told what her illness is) and basically how she and her family interact. The acting is what makes this film though, in my opinion. The actors/characters interact so naturally that you cannot help but be moved by their performances and the sad or funny scenes set before you. If you are a fan of quality acting and enjoy emotional films, definitely check this one out!
I was particularly impressed with Rowlands performance (who you may have also seen in The Notebook or Hope Floats). Its all in her gestures, her movements, the way her eyes can appear distant. I have to acknowledge though, that another favourite part of the film was the interaction between husband and wife. Nick, the husband, so obviously deeply loves his wife. The way he looks at her then smiles I couldn’t help be moved by (yes, again we see I’m a romantic). But its also the way he holds her tight, tells her he loves her, and asks for her to return to him, having fought against and watched her eccentric behaviour for too long. How do you deal with the want to help someone you love when you cant?! You cannot have such an emotional reaction to a film like this without such quality acting, so here I make a tribute to all involved in that film.

Two.
Friday night saw another quality night of Bible study with my girls. I cannot express the joy that comes from seeing them get so into the Bible. To be told several times during and after a study how great it was, how encouraged they were by it, and how much they appreciate it is in itself just so encouraging, knowing that it is nothing that I do, but all God, it is one of those things where you can just see so clearly the power of God working. We are doing a series on prayer and this week looked at the prayer life of Paul. It is awesome to see how challenged and encouraged they were by his example and to change in their own lives. I hope and pray that desire continues. All this is ‘impressive’ in an entirely different sense though – it simply brings joy and encouragement.

Three
Saturday was spent at Sutherland Shire Christian School. From 7:30am til about 8:45pm was spent filming for Colin Buchanan’s dvd. My first day working on it, and I have to say, although tiring, it was really enjoyable. I could say a lot more about this day, but this post is already too long. I was impressed with the team, with how welcome and easily I felt apart of the team, with the willingness of parents (of kids in the film) to help out wherever they could, and especially with the work and dedication of our director, who although was pretty sick and feeling very average, managed to do an excellent job, and even dance around on set as a crazy Mexican TV game show presenter! Thats impressive!

With all this talk of impressiveness though, let me ask you a few questions:
What do you find impressive? How do you try to be impressive? Who do you try to impress?

And more importantly, do you think the cross of Christ is impressive?

At TC this morning Ed, one of the MTS workers at CCSI, spoke on how the death of Jesus on a Roman cross seems such a foolish and unimpressive act for a man meant to be King. So unimpressive by the standards of this world. Beaten, mocked, and crucified naked. Yet, the power of God. What may seem foolish is actually the wisdom and power of God at its greatest! After all, this act which seems so foolish brings you and me into a relationship with our Heavenly Father.

So, who are you concerned about impressing? The world who will pass away, or God, who impacts eternity? The cross isnt impressive, its brutal. But do not be embarrassed by it, for it is through Christ alone that you may enter God's kingdom.

2 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Blogger JT said...

I haven't really thought about these question before, but...

I find humility imressive,
I try way too hard to impress in lots of ways,
I think I try to impress people I'm not as comfortable being around.

But I like impressive things, they so often raise life from the mundane.

JT

 
At 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for ur thoughts jt, as always, they're appreciated!

I reckon we all try too hard to impressive...
I am so with u on finding humility impressive though :) thats a cool one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home