Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Time flies when you're having fun...

or maybe just when you are extremely busy!?!

Tomorrow is June and I cannot believe it is already here! Where did the time go? I'd say it got lost somewhere in the chaos (good & bad) that has filled my life over the last few months!

But this monday actually turned out to be one of those days that just seems to work, where everything flows smoothly, life is enjoyed, tasks are accomplished, and at the end of the day you can say with confidence it was good! To be honest, that hasnt happened much lately, so the feeling was warmly welcomed!
Highlights from the weekend:

  • Youth Surge on friday night at CCSI - which was run splendidly and enjoyed by the majority of kids (and leaders)
  • sitting in my pjs, sipping a cup of tea and catching up with my brother who was home for the weekend;
  • a birthday celebration saturday night with a theme of the 60s (always fun!) where a few pics were taken too;
  • a very enjoyable morning at TC (where we managed to get all the kids involved in a very cheesy but entertaining song to teach them the memory verse) and evening at church (where we finished the book of Ruth - such a great book! - and enjoyed the Lord's supper together).

After a somewhat busy but also sadly unproductive weekend, monday came - my day off - along with good weather and a mission to fulfill!
For a presentation I am doing this week I needed to see a film that I could only access at Sydney Uni Library (I'm a UNSW student). I headed to Sydney, taking in the sights and sun at Victoria Park. Watching the film was somewhat an 'interesting' experience, but nonetheless, worthwhile. Post screening I managed to catch up with
Craig (at a very cool place called Toby's Estate - I will definately have to return there - so many cool teas to buy!) (its such an awesome privilege to meet with fellow Chrisitans...even if he did put me off every studying Hebrew) and then proceeded to do a little window shopping in Newtown. After realising i could easily buy at least 15 books at Moore Books, I resisted temptation and proceeded to wander back to Central station, enjoying the sun, and the privilege doing one of the things i enjoy most - taking photos!
The day was then completed with a tastey mexican dinner for Carly's birthday, and topped off with an exciting phonecall (which i shall tell you about later in this post)

(I'm sorry that this is going to be yet again a long post - but thank you to those who push on til the end!)

Answers to Prayer
I have recently been reading a book called 'Roaring Lambs', which i have referred to in previous posts. Its by Bob Briner and basically about Christians in media/arts/entertainment industry. I'm only about 50 pages into it but it has already been both encouraging and challenging! It is pretty much an answer to prayer being lent this book and reading it as it has helped me make a pretty big decision. You may or may not know that I am majoring in both Film/Theatre AND Human Resource Management. Yes, an unusual combination. I have been struggling to decide whether i pursue a job in HRM (practical, easier to get, pays well) or in Film/Theatre (much harder to get but much more enjoyable). As of recently I have decided to pursue the latter.
What comes with such decisions is how I can best serve God in what I do and what ministry opportunities are available (both within the church and in work). While I am not yet decided whether I will be continuing to lead my girls for the next 3 years, this book has helped me to realise the importance of having Christians in the entertainment industry. It reinforces the instruction given to Christians to be a light and salt to the world (see previous post). In this industry - just as Christians in any secular job - I as a believer can not only share the gospel with those i meet, but also be salt - preserving the 'good' rather than letting 'evil' take over. It is of course important to remember that "Salt retards spoilage, it doesn't prevent it", as Briner points out, and therefore "our job is not so much to monitor evil as it is to provide alternatives to evil."
We can sit and complain about the amount of bad stuff on tv, in films, on the radio etc, that does nothing to bring glory to God, OR we can make the effort to create and provide things which will bring Him glory and further His kingdom. In working in this industry, i will not only (hopefully) get to do things i love, but also help contribute to alternatives that fulfill this purpose! I'm excited!

And this is where the exciting phone call comes in.
Last night I was asked to be a part of a film production. The making of a dvd for Colin Buchanan. I don't know all the details yet, but production will occur in June, and i'll get to work with props and sets - and a bunch of Christians! All I can say is praise God!
Its so easy to think this has all happened by chance, but really, its all by the wisdom of God who is sovereign over all!

5 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Blogger Shannyn said...

How awesome is youth surge! I don't think that it gets enough credit.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger jodi said...

hey chelsea - thought i'd finally comment. youth surge was great - it was so nice to go back and see what they're up to these days. very proud of danny (the mc) and how he has grown.
hope the colin thing goes well - i worked with them all on 'jesus rocks the world' doing makeup and it was a great experience. truly wonderful people to work with. and he is funny! pls say hi to them for me? esp rob harding...
(and and cool photo with the pool table)

 
At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey thanks heaps jodi!
will definately say hi to the team from you!
and totally agree - not that i know danny, but i think he did a great job at MC too! :)

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger JT said...

Congratulations, that's great about your job. Straight to the top, hey, you don't get much bigger than Colin in Christian circles do you?? That's way cool, man.

And nice to be decided about a future too. Uncertainty can be worse than making the wrong choice sometimes. Power on, dude.

 
At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey thanks jt!
Im still undecided about ministry in the future, but i know thats all in God's hands too - and yes, its definately good to have some direction hehe :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home