Sunday, May 21, 2006

The 'What If?'...

"doesnt that make you shiver the way things coulda gone?!" [Missy Higgins]
The famous 'What If?'
It sneeks into your mind or your vocabulary oh so quietly that you dont realise the damage til after its done. Those questions that one just cant help asking. "What if I hadn't done or said this?!" Or "What if I had done or said that instead?!" Would things now be better; would they be different?
On occassion these sorts of questions can be helpful, we can learn and move forward.
But seemingly more often than not the 'What If?' can actually be dangerous. It can lead to its evil accomplice, the 'dwell', which is never really helpful for anyone now is it?
All I can say is I can't let these two gain power - instead I think I'll take the advice of
Matthew...and of Jason Mraz, when he says "I wont worry my life away"!

Meanwhile, this week I ask a less troubling what if - "what if I actually spent the time I wanted to on art and photography and just filled in the gaps with the uni work I have to get done?!"
Ok, you and I both know this is a bad idea, and ultimately not going to happen! But the thing is I have realised how much I miss getting to draw and take photos, to spend time creating and capturing. There is an art competition for which submissions must be completed by this friday, so there is no way I can get done what I would like to attempt to enter this exhibition - putting aside the fact that i may not actually be able to do what i want nor afford the materials, I have an assessment due this week which clearly takes priority! Thats ok, its all about patience right?! The holidays will come soon enough - just gotta make sure i actually do these things when they come!
The exhibition is, however, about favourite movie moments! How cool is that?! Create an artwork based on your favourite movie moment! So my question to you is this: If you were to enter this competition what movie moment would you choose??

And while you're thinking...here's a pic i just took - I love those clear autumn days! A little crisp, but beautiful blue skies!

3 Comments:

At 11:04 PM, Blogger Camel said...

What ifs for the future are good. You need to weigh up the possible outcomes.

What ifs for the past are bad. Instead you should say what can i learn. No point in regret. Foolish



I share the feeling about music stuff for me. And i even a stupid music degree. It's what if i actually tried and worked at it...

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger Katie said...

what if i stopped making excuses, got off my butt, got an agent and actaully tried this acting thing...

my what ifs are things that scare me!

BUT as for fave movie moments - when i first saw the Phantom of the Opera movie, there's an amazing moment in the song Masquerade where the entire cast runs to the grand stairs in the foyer just as the music is gettingg to the climax of the song, and they all do this simple but effective choreography with fans - there are a couple of bars that just blow me away, and every time i watch that i think: "THAT is the reason i do musicals." love it.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Shannyn said...

What if I started on greek now, so that I can't use that as an excuse for me not going to bible college?
Nah, I'm just going to watch tele instead.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home