Monday, April 03, 2006

Its April Already!?!


"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands." Psalm 19:1

I cannot believe it was 4 months ago I was sipping wine in a little pub at this place pictured above, Fox Glacier township, with my cousins.
April already! Where does the time go?!

Well this simple fact that the weeks and months fly by at the blink of an eye, suggest just how key it is to recognise the fleeting nature of time in this world. All the world has to offer is temporary.
I do not say this to be negative. Many of these fleeting things are precious, beautiful, fun and enjoyable. It doesn’t change the fact that they will not necessarily be here tomorrow.

If time is fleeting and all we have will pass away, what comfort and hope can be given?
Where in your life do you need hope?
Where do you look for that hope?
Where do you search for your source of comfort?
If you feel lonely, on whom do you call?
Do you strive for peace on this earth? In this lifetime? In the present day?

Ecclesiastes tells us that life under the sun is meaningless. That instead meaning is found in life under the Son.
And as you’d expect, if life under the sun has little meaning, there aint much hope offered there either! Once again, this is to be found under the Son.

The love, death and resurrection of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ offers us this hope.
His death conquered sin once for all. His resurrection conquered death.
And offered with it a new life – a new hope – for us as children of God and followers of Him.
Not only hope beyond this life – but an offer of peace – a peace that cannot and will not be found in this life.
You want peace on earth?
I suggest you look unto Jesus, who will offer you peace for eternity.

“I heard the voice of Jesus say,
"Come unto Me and rest;
Lay down, thou weary one, lay down,
Thy head upon My breast."
I came to Jesus as I was,
Weary and worn and sad;
I found in Him a resting-place,
And He has made me glad.”


All this you may know and have heard before. If that is the case, I challenge you, do not forget it! And do not be selfish – share your knowledge of the source of comfort to all you know and love!
And think about what you really do with every moment, cos this time is limited - what would God really want you to do with this fleeting time?!

2 Comments:

At 8:00 PM, Blogger JT said...

Ok, so I've been getting up to a bit of essay action, which means I've got 1 Pet 2:21 on the mind... Let me open up a can of worms:

"But if you suffer... TO THIS YOU WERE CALLED, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps".

So what does God want for us in these precious few fleeting moments on earth? Well, to what extent does he intend for us to suffer?

I was asked a question at church the other night (in front of everyone!), along the lines of "does God cause suffering or does he just allow it?".

Maybe there's someone out there who can do a better job than I did...

 
At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow thats a full on question! What did you say?

Its interesting hey - to be called to suffer as Christ did - i think that should definately impact our thikning of how we spend our time, especially in terms of whether we have an 'all about me' mindset vs. all about Jesus. Choosing the latter may deny yourself and others of certain things that could ultimately lead to or be interpreted as suffering, could they not? But if we are called to do so, surely God will look after us when we do so!

As to whether God allows suffering or causes it?
Well, i would say that Sin causes suffering. Does God allow it? Well, i think it hurts him to see us suffer, just as it hurts him to suffer, but there are - as i know you know - many 'good' things that can come from 'allowing' that suffering.

hm does that make any sense?! I think it did in my head haha hope so! I'd say you are wiser than me though JT hehe....
oh, and thanks for the thoughts :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home