Tuesday, March 21, 2006

On Cinema and Capote

Someone recently asked me what drew me to cinema; what started the interest that led me to study film at uni.

At the time I couldnt think of a concrete answer. Its just one of those things I enjoy!

But last night I saw Capote. I was reminded of something I believe to be a key aspect of cinema - its ability to impact the spectator emotionally - whether positive or negative.

Streaming from that, therefore, is a fascination with the way cinema can capture and re-present life - emotion, action, thought - in a way no other medium can - they may come close, to a similar expression - but nothing but life itself comes this close.

This doesnt just apply to Capote. And you may personally not enjoy this film. I for one found it incredibly intense. But it has to be, this is life and death we are dealing with.

But that brings me to another thing I love about cinema - the fact that every single person watching the same scene can respond to it in an entirely different way.

One example - in a scene of Capote there is a hanging. And as per Hollywood, there is a priest present reading a few select verses from the Bible. Now I suspect the filmmaker didnt intend for this to cause too much thought in the average spectator. However, I couldnt help but wonder why they choose to read those verses. And what verses I would read to someone if I knew they were soon to die. Its heavy stuff. But its that persons last moment, why not let them know the Truth and let them know it loud and clear!

There are like a million other thoughts about this film and the issues it deals with - many of these were flowing at like 1:30am this morning! - but i wont bore you with them all right now. Here's just a few:
At what point, why and how do we become so desensitised to the many forms of violence and killing that we see on the silver screen?? Does it have something to do with the way its presented? The genre of the film? Whether we know its 'based on a true story'? I watched Usual Suspects again the other night too, and lets just say my responses to death in this film compared with Capote were very different. Every film I have seen that deals with death (and trust me, ive seen a lot!) definately makes an impact. Unlike Usual Suspects, Capote provided an image that was shocking and terrifying. Intense. One of those things that mean you cant help but gasp and be reminded of the sinful world in which we live. What makes these two scenes impact me differently?

And what about judgement? Two men convicted of murder on 4 accounts. Yet Capote nurses one with a love that is surely rare within those prison cell walls. Sure, his motives were selfish, thats not the point im trying to make here. The point is it made me think about the way we are so quick to judge those around us, when really God is the ultimate judge, and more often than not the judging should be left to Him.

And these are just some that popped into my head during and post Capote.
I dont know the answers here people, I just have the thoughts!

If you've seen it and have thoughts, please, let them be heard!

I in no way wish to detract from the previous post - if you have not yet read it, please ensure you continue onto that one also - it is more likely to change your lives than these rambling thoughts of a film student!

3 Comments:

At 11:18 PM, Blogger JT said...

Don't know about Capote, but my goal this week was to try and see Love Actually, which I never saw but everyone said it was good. Any suggestions on which I should go for in the 10 seconds I will have off this week? (As if I work harder than anybody else - I spent most of this arvo stuffing around NOT doing the assignment I was meant to be doing! Anyhoo...)

Do you have star ratings? You should really adopt your own personal rating system, I reckon. (But have more than 5 stars cos 5 just aren't enough!). AND you should have more than just one categorie too - so we can make an informed choice!!

Gratefully yours,
JT

 
At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just for JT I give this film about an 9/10.
Good quality drama. Gets spectators emotionally involved. Good acting (even if it is just of the 'mimic' kind).
And thats all i have to say.
Only way to make an accurate informed choice is once you have seen it for yourself ;) hehehe
(which i would not recommend if you are anti intense/thinking films!)

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Mr Tiedt said...

>its ability to impact the spectator emotionally

>capture and re-present life - emotion, action, thought - in a way no other medium can

>the fact that every single person watching the same scene can respond to it in an entirely different way.

Funnily enough, that is exactly why I love music so much... it does the same things, but of course in a different way.

Interesting..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home