Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Photocopy Lady

For those of you who don’t know, I work part time in a newsagency to get me through uni.
Not the best job. Not the worst either though. It really does depend on your customers as to how bearable the day becomes.
Working in retail you definitely get to see a lot of different people – and sadly, a lot of rude and selfish people! That usually equals a bad day at work.

But today, I had the rare pleasure of a joyful customer.
Context: a photocopier that constantly causes us pain, and thus I was helping this woman with her copying – yup, page by page of a book….But it turns out that this book is a Christian book.
She proceeds to inform me that she is photocopying it to give to a friend who has cancer but is coming out of hospital today, and for whom she and another friend have been praying. She manages to include some important truths along the way, such as the comfort offered by Jesus. When she finds out that I too am a Christian, I think she felt slightly embarrassed to have preached to the converted, so to speak, but then was full with such joy, and we continued our little conversation about our churches, comfort, joy and worship.
Definitely a blessing to have such a conversation at work.

City on a Hill; Curly Fry in a Box; Rock Star at a Prayer Breakfast

The photocopy lady's boldness in proclaiming her faith to a complete stranger helping her with a simple chore challenged me.

Jason Mraz says “I'm one curly fry in the box of the regular”.
We are often the only curly fry amongst the regulars – like me on an average work day – but sometimes we are blessed with the company of other curls in that box of fries. Either way, be proud of your curliness because it will make an impact!

One person who is another example of this is Bono.
Ok, I am a U2 fan and thus love Bono dearly. But why I decided to bring him up at this point of time is today I was reading a speech he made at the National Prayer Breakfast. It is an interesting read, so if you have the time, read it!
But here are a few things I liked:
"all are searching our souls for how to better serve our family, our community, our nation, our God. I know I am."

One of the things that I picked up from my father and my mother was the sense that religion often gets in the way of God.

"It’s not about charity, it’s about justice."
"It’s annoying but justice and equality are mates."
"A preposterous idea: rich and poor are equal? And they say, “Yeah, ‘equal,’ that’s what it says here in this book. We’re all made in the image of God.” "

"That’s why I say there’s the law of the land… and then there is a higher standard."

"He said, stop asking God to bless what you’re doing. Get involved in what God is doing—because it’s already blessed."

Revelation part 2

"Be faithful even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life." Rev 2:10b
(stood out as we continued studying Revelation tonight in Bible study)

Balance

As there has been a lot of words on this page of late, I thought i'd just include a bit of colour....this is me in NZ....see I was there, I promise!....Although I think this was the view my family most saw of me, camera in hand focused on the view!

(sorry this is another long one!!)

2 Comments:

At 2:27 AM, Blogger Justin said...

Chelsea,

I'm here in the world of Blogs.

Hey -- I've been to this place [the NZ one]. The signs all pointed to this great thing -- the rocks that are like marbles. It wasn't inspiring to look at.

But it was inspiring to think about!

What forces of time and nature carves out such things? The finger of God.

Kewl.

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger JT said...

Photos are always good - the fact that I'm here looking at them at 2:41am isn't quite so!
Hope you can get into more of a groove next week.
In Him,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home