Saturday, February 11, 2006

C is for Chelsea


Reading: Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
and Remarkable Prayers of the Bible by Jim George

Listening: The Best of Bon Jovi

Watching: A Lot Like Love
Monday was my first experience of the story of Oliver and Emily. I embarked on this 7 year journey with great expectations having heard many good things. But I was not disappointed!
One of my fav quotes from the film: "honestly, if you're not willing to sound stupid you dont deserve to be in love." Interesting point, methinks!

Top left: Yes, this is infact me inside a C. Why not?! Lem and I thought we'd have some fun outside star city.

Right: Curl Curl at sunset.
Saturday night saw a bunch of us heading to curl curl beach for a picnic dinner, not to mention a stroll along the beach, feet in the waves and wine in the hand...ahh this is the life! Absolutely beautiful!

Last night my grandfather arrived from NZ! He's staying for 2 weeks, and it seriously is really great to see him! I think he's quite excited to be here too! My brother was also home for the weekend, a rare occassion these days as he is working in Melbourne at the moment....and thus, today, after an excellent morning at TC, we enjoyed a family lunch all together! Something which also has not happened in a quite a while. Then this afternoon, we headed off to Church Point (left) to enjoy this privilege further, along with some more good food and drink in some beautiful surroundings. Good times!

Meanwhile, I was reading this article the other day about Seachange. It surprised me to discover that at least 2/3 of Australians are desiring a change, desiring something more. We all know the saying 'the grass is always greener'. Well it turns out that most of us are sitting at home enduring our jobs, and our lives, dreaming of what could be, of what the other person has, of the day they can do what they enjoy, they dont need to work, or they will be wealthy and successful. What was also surprising, or perhaps more concerning than anything, was the fact that the things most people desired in their seachange were remotely selfish! People wanted to improve things for them - wheather it be success, wealth, fame, or simply having more time to theirselves! A very small number actually said their seachange would include helping others. Although most dreams actually never occur as people think its too hard, i found this to a scary, although accurate, fact. Yes, this first half of this post, and perhaps the blog itself, is generally self-centred. Does this not worry you?!
But I hope that what i do with my life, dream of and plan to do will not be all about me!

3 Comments:

At 12:58 AM, Blogger JT said...

Um... Actually, that kind of was what i was thinking in the first half of that blog (cringe >:| ).

I find it hard ot keep up with your average north shore person - beautiful people, endowed with a plethora of beautiful places enjoying them with beatiful (and expensive) things, aware of the suffering and need of so many others and expressing their sympathy with beautiful words, but unwilling to leave their own lifestyle of bliss to help make someone else's lifestyle bearable. The time that goes into themselves is almost unmatchable.

Sadly of course, I do match it, in my own way, and it's why I both recognise it in others and get so upset about it, because it's in me as well.

Perhaps what saves us is our recognition of the problem and the dream to be different, as you ended your blog. Give me a step for tomorrow to make the dream a reality and I'll take it!

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Shannyn said...

Hey I love that shot of the jetty. I'm thinking that the whole point of this blogging is not self centred, but a tool to make us feel better about ourselves, probably why so many people do it :)

 
At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments guys!
So true, I hope this dream does manage to become a reality!
And shannyn, I think you are so right!
Lets just work at finding a balance between keeping people informed about what we are up to without been selfish and expressing personal thoughts that may encourage and/or challenge!
phew...thats a challenge in itself i reckon!
Thanks again guys :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home