Monday, January 23, 2006

Highlights Package

Last night I returned from leading on another camp, this time at Port Hacking with the youth group at which I lead. That meant 5 days with yr 7-9 kids and a great bunch of people that make up our leadership team. Let me fill you in with a few highlights....

Two Extremes:
While the first few days were filled with rain, causing our day trip to the beach to become a movie outing, it soon cleared up, and the last few days were actually incredibly hot - perfect timing for our day of boats, tubing, swimming and watersliding. Yes, God always provides.

Heaven:
As we sat under the stars singing songs of praise and worship to our Lord, we also heard some thoughts on Heaven from a few leaders. People always say camp is a glimpse of Heaven, as you spend time in constant company of other Christians. This is one of the best things about camp. As we spoke more of this glorious gift I realised how much more my focus needs to be on this goal.

Keeping It Real:
Jesus is real. Sin is real. Forgiveness is real. How will you respond in your everyday life?! I was encouraged and challenged myself as the kids learned these things. Their hearts were made heavy and changes were desired. This is what its all about my friends, and I am very glad I am able to share in that experience.

All round good times:
After a nice dip in the pool on satruday afternoon, I then joined a friend on a rock in the sun by the glistening water, admiring God's beautiful creation, and with her guitar in hand, enjoyed some great music. Good times indeed. And just like our leaders meetings filled with caffeine, it was a nice break!

Growth:
When given the option to swim rather than have discussion groups, to my suprise many of the kids I lead opted for discussion. They thus spent about a half hour of their free time discussing things that had challenged them and encouraging each other with verses from all over the Bible. This brought me great joy. This is my third year of leading these girls, and it is just so encouraging to see how they have grown and changed in that time!

Beyond the Gates of Splendor:
On our last day we watched a dvd by Steven Curtis Chapman about 5 missionaries who, in 1956, set off to live with a tribe in the Amazon. These men were killed by the tribe, dying for the sake of the Gospel, leaving behind wives and children. The sister of one of the murdered responded to this tragedy by chosing to continue the work done by her brother, returning to the tribe in hope of bringing them to faith in Jesus. The son of one of the 5 killed has also since chosen to live with this tribe, now calling the people who killed his father his family.There is much more to this story than I will fit in now, but i encourage you to find out more about this amazing act of faith, forgiveness and sacrificial love. I was certainly challenged!
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose". Jim Elliot

Much more can be said about these past few days. But i'm sure you and I both need a break from this screen. Let me just say, God works wonders!
In Him,
Chelsea

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home