Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Dilemma

Yesterday I watched The Phantom of the Opera for the second time.
This is actually quite a spectacular film! The sets, the costumes, the music.

Due to a personal bias, it is the sets that interest me the most. And they are absolutely amazing in this film. Yes, that opera house was in fact built from scratch for the film. I look at movies like that and remember 'this is why I am studying film and theatre'. You could say its a dream to work on a production like this one.

The dilemma enters the equation, however, when I hear that the film cost around 95 million dollars to make. The set alone cost the amount spent on making one Mission Impossible film.

My mind boggles at how much money that really is. Millions of dollars all for about 3 hrs worth of entertainment for people who could easily afford or find some other way to entertain themselves.

While I could argue that films are much more than simply entertaining and that they could even be considered a necessity, even I know this just isnt true.

Did you know that in some nations its common practice to write "poverty" as cause of death on someone's death certificate?

Although my dream to work on a production like Phantom may never eventuate, cos lets face it, its Hollywood, and who am I?, how could I even justify working in an industry that throws around that money so easily while others die cos they cant afford a simple vaccination, a warm place to sleep, or a clean cup of water?

This is my dilemma.
And it is something I cannot take lightly.

1 Comments:

At 10:53 PM, Blogger JT said...

MTS.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home