Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Sin City and Sick Chelsea

Sin City
I finally saw this film last night.
It’s a violent film. I’ve seen a number of violent films in my time, but this one has definitely got to be amongst the most disturbing. There were some flinch and turn away and hide under the blanket cos that’s just too disturbing moments. But there were also some more amusing moments that were just so distinctly Tarantino, complete with fountains of blood spurting from limbs! Yes, I think its quite fair to say that people who enjoy coming up with these story lines must be somewhat disturbed themselves.
But having said all that, and amongst the number of clichés that appear, there are still some quite beautiful moments in this film! And they come with the use of colour.
For those who don’t know, this film is based on a comic book. It has, in my opinion, been very cleverly made in a way that remains true to the comic book style. And one clever technique which would suggest this is the use of colour. It is mostly a black and white film. But the filmmakers have carefully chosen certain things to be coloured throughout the film – whether it be a character’s red dress, green eyes, or yellow blood – this I believe was quite clever. It is almost enchanting really. What makes them choose to colour that particular object? And why stick to such a strict palette? Why choose to colour one particular car red in one particular scene?
In some instances this subtle addition makes for a rather beautiful image!

So, a disturbing film on many accounts, yes, but also a clever and well made film, and one which needs to be appreciated for the artistry involved!
If you have seen it, please let us know your thoughts!

Meanwhile, you've gotten this far, I congratulate you and ask that you dont give up just yet... I have been pretty sick this last week. It hasn’t been much fun. But it definitely could be worse and I have been reminded of a number of things to be very thankful for! I have also taken a lot of comfort from the following verses, so thought I’d share them with you:

“Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.” Psalm 62:5-8

Do you not know? Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:28-31

8 Comments:

At 1:22 AM, Blogger Camel said...

missed you at core tonight. Hope you get better soon Chels

 
At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have one statement and one answer for you.
The statement is that surprisingly only one scene was shot by Tarentino, which is when Dwight is driving the dead guy to the Tar pits. Nothing else is his! Surprising?
Secondly, the colours that they picked were things which were highlighted that way in the books (They are not comics per-se, but illustrated books), so they were remaining true to the original books. Part of why Frank Miller actually liked the production!

I like the movie a lot. Does that make me a bad person?

 
At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks camel :) I missed you guys too!

goldy - yeah i did know tarentino only shot one scene - i just personally thought a lot of it was his style...dont know if you'd agree?!
Yeah assumed the colour was from the books, but still think it was affective hehe. Guess my question would apply to the books more than the film then hey...but ohwell...thanks dude :)
you're so wise!

haha well i liked the film too..so i hope not haha :P

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger JT said...

"...for I see violence and strife in the city...
Destructive forces are at work... threats and lies never leave its streets". (Psa 55:9-11).

That's why PG movies are the way to go!!

First stumbled over this verse while listening to the Whitlams "Love this city" album. (True story).

 
At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks jt! well that verse definately fits sin city! haha
yeah cant go past a good PG movie hey, they definately get overlooked these days!

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Jim said...

Sin City is a great movie, mainly for its originality. Its so different to anything else I have seen.

For the record, I have no idea why this film isn't rated "R". Makes no sense when "Hostel" was rated "R" but Sin City was much more violent.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Derum Studio said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heart sin city big time.

but i like frank miller's graphic novels of sincity better.

the mOST aMAZING THing about the movie is how greatly muchly it was based on the graphic novels... the tone and colour work... the characters, on screen placement and drama. i thought it was one the best translations of all time.
woooooo!

i highly recommend that for a full reading of the movie that the graphic novels are undertaken in readingness. ...hahaa... i'm whacked.

i have them if you would like to read them. i think you should!

bye!

Meliska
x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home