Wednesday, June 14, 2006

lowly things...

Do you ever just feel really incompetent? I know that most of the time when I do I really shouldn’t, but still the feeling creeps in. Surely I’m not alone in this feeling?
I guess this is one of those tensions that seem to exist in life though. I feel inadequate in giving wisdom to those who seek it, in giving the wisest response in Bible study, in having enough wisdom and knowledge to lead a group of teenage girls through Bible study for another three years. But when you look at 1 Corinthians I cannot help but be completely humbled and entirely comforted. Because the Spirit is within me. It is only with and through the spirit that I can gain wisdom and understanding of God’s will and word and grow in Christ-likeness. Ok, so I know this doesn’t mean I can sit back and relax and not worry about the aforementioned things, but it does mean I can have confidence – a confidence that only comes with the knowledge that the Spirit is working in and through me - me a mere 20 yr old girl just as sinful as the next, just as incompetent as the next, just as unimpressive as the next, especially when I rely on myself alone.

I had planned to write a post about Love, in response to and reflection on the words preached by Peter Jenson at CCSI on Sunday night. No doubt this post will come soon, but for now I just wanted, and needed, to express the lesson in humility 1 Corinthians continues to be. And what joy and comfort and confidence we should take in knowing that God is with us, within us, and working through us, in all that we do and say. My words spoken to those whom I lead do not rest on my wisdom alone, but on the power of God. And in my weakness He may strengthen me and use me for His good. I am His humble servant.

I know this has been a bit of a theme in my last few posts, I apologise if it has become repetitious, but I guess its just something that God has been reminding me of and which I could not look past. I hope and pray this can encourage and challenge you too.
If you want to have a better idea of what I’m talking about, read 1 Corinthians, chapters 1 and 2.
But for now I will leave you with these words from Paul:

“Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord." 1 Corinthians 1:26-31

4 Comments:

At 12:42 PM, Blogger Shannyn said...

Way to talk the talk AND walk the walk Chels!

 
At 8:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe thanks shannyn, but it was merely something on my heart after bs.

Oh, and just to clarify JT, this post comes completely unrelated to what we both said in the comments on my last post...

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger JT said...

That's cool dude, no link made. Thought it was a pretty cool post anyway though.

Hope things are going well in the busy end of semester.

JT

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Kat said...

hey, thanks much 4 checking out my blog. I luv extending my knowledge of my brothers n sisters! :) and to be able to see your heart and what Christ is doing in your life. thank you for being open and encouraging :)
enjoy your sunday!

<3 K

 

Post a Comment

<< Home