Sunday, July 23, 2006

My Own Private Melbourne

I'm back!
Four and a half days in Melbourne, visiting my brother, relaxing, and exploring this intriguing city.
And it was all very good! Let me fill you in on my journey (caution: this will be long! sorry!)

Day 1: Visited the Shrine of Rememberance, which is quite spectacular (and positioned in a lovely park that reminded me of Washington DC). Then walked through the Botanic Gardens to the Yarra River. Wandered up along the river to Southbank where I stopped for a bit of reading, coffee and cheesecake.Day 2: Jumped on a tram and headed to St Kilda Beach and Pier. Was blessed with the most beautiful clear sunny day, which was perfect for a stroll up the pier and sitting by the beach, the later I did while enjoying some tastey lunch, reading High Fidelity, and listening to my own private concert provided by this guy in the pic below, who was just sitting there for hours writing songs and playing around with his guitar - so good! Now regretting not chatting with him. But very glad he was there.
After a while in the sun there I decided it was time to check out Chapel St...so eventually got there after a bit of a walk...
That night Ryan and I headed to Lygon St for some tastey Italian dinner. And we werent disappointed! We found the cutest little resturant with these classic little old Italian waiters with a great sense of humour, and some great food! Post dinner we headed to Koko Black - which I'm told is quite a treasure for Melburnians - where we had probably the best hot chocolate I have ever had! See ya later Max Brenner, hello koko black!
Day 3: Hoped on another tram and this time headed to Federation Square, which I have to say has some of the coolest architecture around! Those buildings are so much fun! Anyway, there I went to ACMI (Australian Centre for the Moving Image). This place is pretty cool! I seriously could have bought every film book in their gift shop. And they had this room with a bunch of capsule type things set up with sofas and tv screens with about 6 short films at each - i could have sat there all day watching these things!
After ACMI it was on to NGV A (National Gallery of Victoria, Australia) - a number of great exhibitions, the most interesting of which was 'The Paris End' - a series of photographs of fashion over the years, and some great b+w pics of Melb. And this was all topped off with a spa in the evening!
Day 4: Ryan and I enjyoed a tastey brunch at a great cafe overlooking the park on Domain Rd, then headed to the NGV for the Picasso exhibition!
This was absolutely amazing! An incredibly conprehensive exhibtiion of drawings and paintings by Picasso and photographs by Dora Maar. It was awesome seeing some of his most famous works, and some of his little sketches on scrap paper, and seeing her photographs of him working etc, seeing how the two relate and document each other. My highlight from the exhibition was Dora's photographs of Picasso's Guernica (one of my fav works of his) as a work in progress! Hard to explain, but this was very exciting and very cool - that work is massive!
After the exhibition we opted for the relaxed afternoon and headed to Melbourne Central shopping centre and watched Pirates of the Caribbean 2.

Overall, it was a great trip. Aside from the above exploration, I also enjoyed a lot of down time in my brothers apartment (which is extremely cool!) doing fun holiday things like reading, drawing, and watching TV....oh foxtel IQ...such a beautiful invention! And it was really nice being able to spend that time with my brother again! Cheers Ryan!
For those who are interested I am currently loading most of my pics onto flicker and giving a bit more of the story there too, just click on the melbourne set and enjoy!

2 Comments:

At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice pics Chels. Love the 3D 'Picaso' type!

 
At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe thanks nath :)

hey the art gallery book shop had a comprehensive section on typography!
I thought of you :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home