Sunday, July 30, 2006

Jindabyne

Lantana has been called the best Australian film numerous times.
And thus, Ray Lawrence had a lot to live up to with his latest film Jindabyne.

I finally saw it Thursday night, and although it felt kinda long, I enjoyed it and think its worth seeing.
But here are a few more thoughts on the film.

Jindabyne’s plot revolves around four men and their wives/girlfriends and how a weekend fishing trip changed their lives and the town in which they lived.
The story is of course much bigger than that.
To be honest, I think I would need to see it again….and again….to pick up all the meanings of this film -one of the things i love about film - always something new to pick up each time; all the little details of the story which make it complete. In my opinion, this is a story about more than a terrible act of crime and its ramifications for all involved (although this is obviously at the forefront). But this is a story about life in a small Australian town. About race relations and cultural differences in Australia (which I haven’t seen been done this well before). About family. About relationships. About trust. About…life.

It is a drama that makes you think and makes you feel – you cannot help but be moved by some of these scenes and their implications – and that is why I like it.

The performances are excellent, particularly those of Laura Linney and Gabriel Byrne. And the cutest little boy who played their son was also a great little actor.

Ray Lawrence insisted on as few takes as possible, and as far as I can tell, as few shots as possible for each take. His argument for this technique – which is more difficult in filmmaking than you probably imagine – is that in life we only get one take, so why make the film any different.
Good point I reckon!
I had forgotten about this til after I’d seen it, but this decision is actually quite clear in many scenes, and in a positive way too. For a drama about life, the first and most emotive action and reaction is probably most effective, and it seemed this way in Jindabyne.

While I am unsure whether I’m a fan of the closing shot sequence, I do think Ray Lawrence did a good job with the ending – don’t want to spoil it, but lets just say I think it is actually appropriate for the film and the issues it is dealing with.

If you have seen Jindabyne, please let me know what you thought about it!

In other news...Last night I enjoyed a very tastey dinner with the fam to celebrate my brother's birthday (happy birthday Ryan!), after which I experienced a new taste sensation - cranberry, raspberry and strawberry tea (soo good!) - enjoyed while watching the rugby...so heres to the might men in black who did it again! Go NZ!
(Picture is of course of the one and only Dan Carter!)

6 Comments:

At 3:27 PM, Blogger Mr Tiedt said...

Haven't seen Jindabyne, but saw Lanatana for the first time a week or so ago... VERY good movie. Top-drawer stuff.

As for the All-Blacks last night... well, they weren't very good! :-P They were just lucky that the wallabies were worse...

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Scott said...

Out here in SA I haven't had a chance to see the new Aussie offering (of course!) but from what you have said about it, is it about 4 guys that go on a fishing trip, find a murdered girl floating in the river and choose not to tell till after their fishing trip? If so, there is a Paul Kelly song about it which is also brilliant! If not, then I look stupid . . . .

 
At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott, you're right on the money!

Paul Kelly was actually one of the composers of the soundtrack of this film! :)

"Composer Paul Kelly is one of Australia's best known singer/songwriters who in 1989 wrote a song (Everything's Turning To White) and released an album (So Much Water So Close To Home) inspired by the same Raymond Carver story on which 'Jindabyne' is based."

(http://chaos.com/product/jindabyne_695018_5250.html)

 
At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey hannah, thanks for dropping by!

Gabriel Byrne and Laura Linney had irish and american accents (respectively), so there is no attempt to hide the fact they arent aussies, which I think is a very good decision - its always weird to have someone pretending to be from another country when you know they arent!
As far as I can remember, the rest of the cast are australians...

I'd definately recommend both films!

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Craig Schwarze said...

Saw it last week with a mate. It had some good moments, but I wasn't overly impressed. I thought it was too slow at the start, and there were too many subplots happening.

The most interesting bit was when racial tension began to build in the town after they got back from the fishing trip. But it took about half an hour to get there.

Too much reliance no menacing music for no reason. Like when they are swimming in the lake, you think its Jaws or something! But nothing happens.

A shame because there was a good cast and some great cinematography. In the end I have to fault the direction. Can't recommend it...

 
At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe fair call craig! thanks for the thoughts!

I definately agree that parts of it were a bit slow!

I cant remember the music for the lake bit...hmm this is why films should be seen more than once hehe


I should say that just cos i recommend it and liked it (as a drama that was emotive basically), doesnt mean i expect others to like it! People always need to see these things for themselves!

Craig, did you like lantana?
Or any other Aust films you've liked/and or recommend?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home