Sunday, August 13, 2006

"Why am I here? Where did I come from?"
Charlie Kaufman, Adaptation

This quote kinda sums up my saturday really.
Let me explain.

A beautiful sunny day. A walk over the bridge to the MCA and Pier 2/3 for some art. A stroll through the Rocks markets. A hot chocolate by the beautiful harbour. A ferry trip at twilight. And a bit of photography in between (check out pics on flicker if u like!) And a film viewing in the evening.
Good times. Cheers N.

So how does a wander round sydney harbour and some art relate to questions of identity?

Well, aside from the fact that i looked and felt a lot like a tourist at times with my camera round my neck taking pics of icons of the city in which I live, its the art that we went to explore that kicked off the contemplation.
The theme for the 2006 Biennale of Sydney is 'Zones of Contact'. It deals with issues such as "the sense of home and belonging, and the experience of living outside one's own culture, or in contested territory".
A number of works delt with issues of national and personal identity (and how the two possibly relate). Some works questioned the role of history, events in history, and what we know of history, in shaping who we are and what we believe in. Some works explored issues of displacement. Some explored the role of religion in our lives.
Every single one was interesting and chalenging in some way.
It is said that the "artworks will inspire and move you, as well as expand your thinking." And in my opinion this is very true!

My words will not bring justice to these works, however. I could not begin to explain the works which I liked the most nor the way they all made me feel or what they made me think.

What I did love at the Pier (apart from the cool building which we decided would make a great apartment!) was the many portraits that accompanied the Anthony Gormley piece 'Asian Field'. They were all extreme closeups on the face. And what I loved is how every single one was different. How one can look entirely joyful while the next will look sad or lonely. And I love that its all about the eyes. They truely do say so much about a person, let you into what they are feeling. And they are truely unique. Which is beautiful!

All this talk about individuality and identity made me wonder where I find my identity. Who am I?
Yes, as I said, this question also arose in the film Adaptation which I watched last night. In it theres also another quote i found interesting: "you are what you love, not what loves you". True? hm not sure, to some extent perhaps..
So, is my identity in this country? My culture? My religion even? Or is it in my work, what I do with my life, like Kaufman was struggling with?

The only possible conclusion i could come up with is this: my identity is in Jesus Christ.

And that conclusion is kinda scary cos it makes you really question whether you are living your life according to that identity. In Colossians Paul prays that the Christians at Colosse may live a life worthy of the Lord and please Him in every way. Are we - am I - living a life worthy of the name of Christ? The name of the one who gave me life and whose name I reflect in everything when I choose to call myself a Christian!?!!
Something to think about methinks...

4 Comments:

At 11:19 PM, Blogger David said...

Thanks for stopping over and saying hey. Hope you enjoyed the visit! Come again soon.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Mr Tiedt said...

> The only possible conclusion i could come up with is this: my identity is in Jesus Christ.

As i think it should be... If we're serious about our faith, then we should be signing our lives over to Christ.. and every aspect of our lives should be shaped by that!

And yes, sydney is a beautiful place, and it goes so beyond the opera house and the bridge (although they are awesome as well...)

 
At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Thanks David! And same to you!

Tiddy - Totally agree - both about Christ and about sydney haha.

 
At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mandy!

Thanks for dropping in!
I think I know who you are...hm yay for CCSI connections anyway hehe
Anyway, thanks for your comment and that verse! So true, definately amazing the way God chooses to work in and through us!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home