Friday, February 09, 2007

'Stranger Than Fiction'

I have always thought Emma Thompson was a great actress. She can pull off anything from comedy to tragedy. Shes what I like to call a 'real actress.'

And now my opinion of her has simply skyrocketed to brilliant having just seen the new release 'Stranger Than Fiction'.


When I saw the preview for this film I was immediately hocked. Intriguing concept and impressive cast.
Well, I saw it yesterday and lets just say I was thoroughly impressed! It exceeded my expectations.

I cant put a finger on why i consider this film one of the best of the holiday season, but I believe it has something to do with the following:

The cast were brillaint. I've already mentioned Emma Thompson, who did a fantastic job as the slightly eccentric author suffering from writers block as she molds her narrative. Her protagonist is Harold Crick (Will Ferrell), who is actually a living human being, and as the story unfolds and he experiences the narration of his life by Kay, Harold finds a new lease on life, which provides us with an endearing subplot and the also well casted Maggie Gyllenhaal.

Ferrell proves to be perfect for the part of Harold Crick. Many argue no one else could play him, and I'd have to agree. While I have liked Ferrell in previous films, this performances introduces us to a fresh taste of Ferrell, with the director, Forster, recognising an element in his actor which he believed this film could bring out in a way no other could.
Furthermore, I think we see a new and impressive potential in Gyllenhaal's performance - I look forward to see what else this girl gets up to in the future.

So aside from an effective cast, elements of this film had me laughing out loud (mostly thanks to Ferrell and Thompson) and that is definately a plus - a film that can genuinely make you laugh while also exploring more intimate, emotional and meaningful parts of life - parts that many of us can relate to in some shape or form - definately earns points in my book! And this one does it all well!

Additionally of course the novel concept of our film's story is actually, well, quite strange, with several scenes leaving you questioning how this can work and how it will play out, yet, in my opinion, loving it all the while for that very reason.
And lets not forget the little love story which so nicely caters to us romantics out there (my favourite bit being the gift of 'flours' - brilliant!)

Having said all this, I do not claim this to be one of the best films of all time, dont get me wrong. Brilliant, clever and entertaining - definately. But I did, personally, have a few faults to pick out along the way... But for now, I will leave those alone, and let you decide for yourself, as I do maintain it is worth seeing!
Do please let me know your thoughts when you have made it to see this strange piece of fiction!

8 Comments:

At 8:11 PM, Blogger Ray said...

Glad you liked it Chelsea. And nicely reviewed I might add.
Emma Thompson was excellent and she made a great narrator. I must admit I sort of missed the `flours' gift, very clever.
Agreed, not the greatest film of all time but it's kind of original and very interesting

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger David said...

I saw this movie on the weekend and I thought it was great. I love movies like this that explore strange dimensions...kinda like 'Being John Malkovich'. I loved Thompson's narration during the film- if this were a book, I'd read it. The ending was fabulous as well- the author's changed ending was better and more clever than the first. Yay!

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger JT said...

I think your review was better than the movie!

Left me with thoughts re:

- How did people feel about the idea of having someone write the script to your life? It left me feeling a bit eerie, bit that's probably cos it was done in a pretty strange way. God's sovereignty does make me feel that way, his is much more comforting.

- The real Harold's life seemed to have quite a different goal to the fictional Harold. The former was dealing with eharing voices, being called crazy and trying desperately to avoid dying. The latter presumably played the role of an over-organised neat freak who is missing out on most of life. That tension wasn't really resolved/explained to me.

- I love the bit about someone who knows they're going to die but going ahead with it anyway for a higher purpose as being the sort of person who you want to live. People don't seem to give Jesus the same kind of respect as that. And, ironically, if he didn't die it would defeat the whole purpose. Resurrection is very different to not dying.

I feel like there's a sermon illustration in there somewhere...

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Jim said...

You know how much I love this film already, but let me say it again. I LOVE THIS FILM.

But I need to ask, what is holding it back from being 'the best film ever'. Im not saying it is, but I want some criticism from you chels! Tell me your gripes with it!

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger JT said...

ok, when I said "God's soveriegnty does..." I meant "God's sovereignty doesn't"!!!!

Pretty sure that's worth correcting!

 
At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for the comments guys!

JT - I hadnt thought about them when i saw the film, but I love those potential sermon illustrations!
In terms of not having that tension between harold's real and narrated life explained, sadly, i think thats just the way its meant to be. In this particular instance i think itd actually ruin the film if an explanation was attempted...probably cos there is none that would actually sound liable anyway hehe... but i do get what u mean

Jim - honestly, i dont think i could name a 'best film ever' cos my favourite films are all so different they cannot be compared...
but in terms of this film i guess its just not that innovative. The concept may be unique and it was made well. I loved it. but it hasnt done enought to be called the best film ever...hm dunno if that makes sense?

My gripes with the film arent major either...small things like some lines (eg Farrall repeating 'I want you' - while kinda funny, that felt a little too Anchorman and not really appropriate)

and the way they incorporated the images of the boy and the bus driver, in my opinion, could have been done slightly better - it was a little bit random - i dont think explanation was necessary, cos as i said, ambiguity is good in a film like this, but dont know how well it worked...

thats all i can think of now...if i think of more (or perhaps a better way to explain my answer) i will let u know!
as i said tho, i still think its a great film!

 
At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, might just add - an example of 'needing more' to be 'the best film' is the major strength i pulled out of this film in my review anyway was the acting...but, as im sure you know, a film with brilliant acting by some, if not all, can still not be equated to the 'best film ever'...

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Jim said...

Thanks chels. Agree, its not 'the best film ever', and thats always a subjective thign anyway.

Its a funny concept as I really dont have any gripes with this film. I loved every moment of it. I loved the "I want you" thing. Yes it was very anchorman, but it kinda showed a side to Harold that was a little odd. He was socially awkward.

Anyway, not saying anyone has to have it as their 'best film' just keen to hear peoples gripes with it, if they exist.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home