Sunday, November 19, 2006

Free Art....before it frees you!

Hot Chips consumed by the beach - $6.20

Parking - $4.50/hr

Time spent with brother and enjoying art amongst God's beautiful creation - Priceless!


Saturday I finally made it to Bondi for the Sculptures by the Sea. While I didnt make it there as planned fo
r the sunrise with the crew from last year, I did get there on an absolutely amazing warm, sunny day and spent the time with my brother - good deal in my books!

Cant really complain with the combination of two of my favourite things - art and the beach!

I admit, I was amazed at the number of people there though! Its quite cool to think that that many people were there to enjoy art isnt it?! It was insane though! And thus, not quite as suitable for photographs as the early AM venture, but thats ok! I still got a few....you can see some here, and more on Flickr. Enjoy!

I did find it somewhat ironic that one of the pieces people seemed to enjoy the most was the one which involved hanging pine trees. People could walk amongst the trees, feel their texture and smell that distinctive pine smell. Looking up was just as great. We sat in the middle looking up (which kinda gives the visual in the picture below) amazed at the beauty of the blue sky, the contrast with the red wood, and the association the smell instantly brought back of memories of our childhood holiday destination. Why I found this somewhat ironic is that we were surrounded by beautiful landscape which was scattered with man made sculptures - most of which were made of metal or some other man made subtance (like the others pictured). Often beautiful or otherwise interesting and intriguing sculptures had been made and displayed, yet people loved the hanging trees! Anyone else find that funny? Or somewhat representative of society at large - continually tearing down the natural to build the man made... Dont get me wrong, I was one of the ones who loved that installation! I just found it interesting (am i the only one??).
Perhaps it was because of this ability of the audience member to interact with the piece - not only physically but also emotionally and mentally as associations are made.
Maybe that is what we often look for in art, something we can relate to or associate with? People often ask the (not always necessary) question "what does it mean?" when they look at art dont they?

Anyway, I didnt intend to ramble about this... If you got to the sculptures yourself or even if you just have a look at some of the pics, let me know your thoughts of the event, would love to hear them!
Meanwhile, praise God for days like these!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home