Thursday, August 31, 2006

Oasis

You gotta love the way God works dont you?!

Earlier this week I started reading Joshua on the train. I was challenged by these words:

"Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful." Josh 1:8

While I realise the command to meditate on the word day and night is more than actually spending time reading the word, it definately challenged me, rebuked me, reminded me, that I do not spend enough time reading the Bible and meditating on what God has to say to me.

Well, having realised this, changes to my plans last night which initially disappointed, turned out to be a blessing.

Finishing uni at 5 and planning to go to a gig in Newtown that evening, I decided there was no point going home but rather killing time in the funky place that is newtown was the best solution. But instead of meeting friends for dinner as hoped, I retreated into the depths of one of the million thai places on king st and opened the Bible. Yep, God had shown me during the week that i needed more time like this, and last night he delivered it straight into my hands. What a blessing.

Anyway, here is a passage I was challenged by last night that I thought i'd share with you:

"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. Be wise in the way you act towrads outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." Colossians 4:2-6

I dont know about you, but I think I can learn alot from Paul. As I wrote Bible study from his letter to the Colossians, I was reminded to also pray what he prays. And in light of conversations I had had with uni friends earlier that day about the way our lecturer seems to get things wrong about the Christian church and we need to counteract that, so to speak, verses 5 and 6 were also a good reminder.

Two reminders, to meditate on the word of God day and night and to be devoted to prayer. Two things which are essential to Chrisitan living. Two things that we hear and discuss all the time and I teach the girls I lead. But two things I am glad God brought to my attention this week. A reminder needed in the midst of a few crazy weeks at uni where work and life become too much.
A reminder like an oasis in a desert.

(Oh, and just in case you were wondering, the gig I went to last night was
James Cooper. Check him out and buy his cd, he is brilliant.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home