Monday, November 28, 2005

Gifts and Gratefulness

“I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service.”

These are the words of Paul in
1 Timothy 1:12.
As I read through the book today I was struck by these words. In his letter to Timothy, Paul's thankfulness for God's grace and his acceptance - not just knowledge - of how that should impact his life is so vivid! We are all appointed to do the work of God.
And for no reason other than pure selfishness this purpose escapes our minds far too often. Yet in Philippians 2 we are told to do nothing out of selfish ambition, but to consider others better than ourselves and to have the same attitude of Christ Jesus who became obedient to death on a cross.
In this life and in this world we have a purpose, and fulfilling a purpose requires obedience. But even when we do remember this purpose we may forget the joy that it is to be appointed this service. Paul does however show thankfulness for this, once again challenging us to do the same.

I therefore say, be thankful, as Paul is thankful!
And be challenged as Paul challenges Timothy.
Thank our Lord for the gifts He has so freely given us. Ones that are certain and eternal. Be thankful that you are appointed to his service, that you are given the job to spread this good news, and do not back down from this purpose you are given!
I for one am at this point extrememly thankful that today I could spend my holiday enjoying the blessing it is to read God's word and be challenged by it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home